Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lydia's Invitation to Brighton

I cannot believe that my father would even consider allowing Lydia to accompany Mrs. Forster to Brighton! Does he not realize what shame and embarassment she brings our family, flirting with each and every soldier stationed in the camp? It is frustrating to think that he is willing to let Lydia go just because he does not want to deal with the great amount of complaining and whining he would receive from her if he were to say no, and my mother's support on the subject just makes it that much worse. Nevertheless, I do not wish to fret too much over something that does not concern me. Lydia will eventually learn the proper way to act in society, so if she chooses to make a fool of herself now, then so be it.

4 comments:

  1. How on Earth do my actions make the situation worse? Your father is right, Lizzy- Lydia would not be better off here at home. She must go off and experience the regiment at Brighton. That is something I wish I had done at her age. Lighten up and be happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree on your view of this matter. your parents have made an unwise decision, but you can not do anything about it right now. i would advise you to go into Brighton and get her yourself but i feel that there may be some problems if you were to do that. however i hope she does not bring your family too much shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Elizabeth, I permitted her to go because she is a teen and, naturally, obsesses over soldiers. She deserves to travel to Brighton because she is a generally acceptable girl who does not create trouble. Further, Colonel Forster will keep her behavior in check, so don't you worry about her misbehaving and shaming our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Darcy, as always. Your parents have always made poor decisions and had views that are not really "correct". Mrs. Bennet actually just complained about me and Jane's "breakup" and then proceeded to talk bad about about Charlotte and Collins' marriage. I just cannot put my finger on why your parents have such strange persepectives on situations!

    ReplyDelete