Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Married at last

As Jane and I were taking a stroll, Mrs. Hill came up to us to inform us that an express had come from Mr. Gardiner for father, and we could not help but wonder the possibilities of its contents! We quickly ran to meet him, and I read the letter aloud; it revealed that Mr. Gardiner had found Lydia and Wickham's whereabouts, and as long as the engagements were met, the couple would be married. What joy this brought to Jane and I, but mostly to mother! Although I know that it is impossible for Lydia to have everlasting happiness with Wickham, and that their marriage will soon turn to a disaster, it is delightful to finally know that Lydia is safe and in good condition. Jane cannot help but believe that Wickham must have at least some regard for Lydia, but I could never allow myself to believe that; Jane is obviously a lot kinder than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment