Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A visit from the newlyweds

Jane and I were eager for the Wickhams' carriage to arrive to Longbourn, but my mother was most impatient; my father acted as if their visit was nothing out of the ordinary. However, I was not excited because I hadn't seen Lydia in months; I was excited because I would be able to witness whether their affection for one another was true and evident in their behavior. My mother greeted them warmly, and Wickham portrayed himself as noble as ever, yet I was not fond that he continued to try to converse with me about his acquaintances in the neighborhood. Lydia informed my sisters and I of the details of the wedding, and it was obvious that she felt no regret whatsoever for her elopement and departure from Brighton. Nevertheless, I was pleased to confirm my previous thoughts; Lydia had much more affection for Wickham than he had for her, and it was almost impossible to picture them as happy in the future as Lydia imagined.

3 comments:

  1. It is so sad to think that any joy could be had from this event. Your neive sister has brought such a scandal. If it hadnt been for my darling Nephew you would all be in ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atleast they got married. They could have embarrased the family even more and not got married! I'm glad for you Bennet's that everything worked out and that Lydia is safe! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your sentiments about Wickham. He is a self-serving, haughty man who is not, in any sense, noble. He is an iniquitous man who took advantage of my daughter and your sister.

    ReplyDelete